Wednesday, February 18, 2015

New Testament by Jericho Brown


I have decided to try and put more diverse works into my reading endeavors this year.

I wanted to get out of my own head, and into a richer experience.

This post at the Millions inspired me to inter library loan a couple of poetry books, "Hustle" and "New Testament."

I have to say that my subsequent examination of New Testament blew my mind.

I loved it. I can't say enough about it. I recommend it to every poet I meet.

Brown's use of language was rich and dynamic, and I was able to feel movement, emotionally and physically. The work transported me.

I loved how he left the work open enough that I could relate - and fit (my white female self) into the work.

An example of one of the works is listed on this blog .

The work mentioned (Heart Condition by Jericho Brown) ends this way:

"My name is Slow And Stumbling. I come from planet
Trouble. I am here to love you uncomfortable."


The lyric sound of the lines is wonderful. The meaning, moreso.

I was transported out of my life, and beneath the skin of another's experience.

This is a work I will re-read many times, and I can't wait to get a copy of his earlier work, Please.

Bravo, Jericho.

And Please - write on!


No comments:

Post a Comment